What Are Hormones And What Is Their Significance
Hormones are chemical messengers for our body. They act as a trigger for many glands of the body to start with their functioning. In other words we can say that they act as a catalyst for various body processes. Hormones have a striking effect on the functioning of our body. A very little change in the amount of secreted hormones may cause significant changes in the body. Read below to find more amount the significance of the hormones and the changes that are brought in our body because of the hormones in the human body:
- Physical changes: These hormones are responsible for physical as well as sexual maturity right from puberty to old age. You might have suffered from pimples during your adolescent years. This is a hormonal change which is caused due to the secretion of steroidal hormones like estrogen and progesterone.
- Growth related changes: The growth hormones regulate the growth of various body organs and muscles. The thyroid hormone takes care of your height and weight. Any alteration in the amount of thyroid released by the body can make you either tall or fat like a giant or too small or thin like a dwarf.
- Sugar related changes: The hormone related to the absorption of sugar or glucose in the blood is called Insulin. You must have heard this hormone in all probabilities. Improper functioning of this hormone may lead to diabetics as the body either absorbs too much sugar from the blood or might not absorb any sugar at all.
- Sleep related changes: At any time of your life, you might have suffered from lack of sleep or may be no sleep at all. A hormone known as Melatonin becomes active and regulates the biological clock of the body telling it when to sleep and when to get up. An imbalance may lead to lack of sleep or excessive sleep.
- Mood related hormones: You may be surprised to know that your mood is also affected by hormones. The Estrogen hormone secreted in women is largely related to mood swings which are very frequent in women nearing periods or menopause. Lack of this hormone causes depression and anxiety. So next time your lady shows such signs, you don’t need to stretch your heart out thinking about what you have done to make them upset.