The Reasons Of The Popularity Of Hormone Replacement Therapy
If you have passed or reached the stage of menopause then you can possible think of Hormone replacement therapy to live a healthy and normal life. The therapy involves taking either of the two important female hormones namely: progesterone and estrogen. Both the hormones are produced by the ovaries but as the women near the menopause the production of the two decreases and ultimately stops which gives rise to several abnormalities and ailments in women body. Estrogen not only ensures normal and healthy functioning of the woman’s reproductive system but also many other important body functions.
Menopause has some undesirable results such as:
- Hot flashes
- Sleep disturbance
- Vaginal dryness
Also menopause expose women to more severe ailments like:
- Heart diseases
- Loss of bone, increasing the chances off fractures and osteoporosis.
The awareness of the side effects of menopause has led to the popularity of the hormone replacement therapy wherein, estrogen is infused in the body to ensure healthy functioning of the body organs. The therapy safeguards the women against the potential threats of menopause and let them live their old age with more of oomph and spirit.
Following benefits of hormone replacement therapy is reported:
- Prevents heart diseases: Before menopause women are less prone to cardiovascular diseases but after menopause the risk multiplies manifold times. This is because the lack of estrogen affects the lipid and cholesterol levels increasing the chances of heart attacks. Estrogen helps in reducing the bad cholesterol levels while increasing the good cholesterol levels in the blood. Also it helps in keeping the blood vessels open which reduces the chances of heart diseases.
- Prevent osteoporosis: A research shows that women who take estrogen after the menopause are less prone to bone fractures. After menopause the bone loss process accelerates to almost one to two percent as because of the lack of estrogen, whose primary function is to protect the skeleton by keeping the bone-forming cells active.
- Memory loss: Studies have proved that estrogen protects against memory loss and improves the learning process.
- Colorectal cancer: Studies have shown that women those have taken the hormone replacement therapy were less exposed to the dangers of colorectal cancer.
- Diabetes: HRT helps in keeping the blood sugar levels under control after menopause.
- Migraine: Many women after the HGT report decreased migraines.
- Teeth: Women who took HRT have healthy and strong teeth as the estrogen keeps the bone forming cells working.